Sunday, January 15, 2012

Welcome to Uzbek Brian

Assalomu alaykum va xush kelibsiz!
Hello and welcome!

My name is Brian Greco, I'm 16 years old, and I'm from Pennsylvania. Welcome to my new new blog, Uzbek Brian, featuring my journey learning Uzbek, the national language of Uzbekistan.

I created this blog because I love languages, and while I appreciate just about any place, one of the hearts of my interest is the elusive region of central Asia and its fascinating languages.

Uzbekistan is a place that has always piqued my interest and I'm excited to travel there one day. Having found a bunch of Uzbek language resources online and in print, I've decided to start learning and see where it takes me.

I've been recently inspired by the prospect of intensive study of Uzbek at Arizona State University's Critical Language Institute. I think I will be attending it this summer and wanted to document my learnings and findings until then. (Update 4/21: I'm set to go!)

Further on in my journey I hope to take a huge trip through central Asia and actually visit Uzbekistan along with other nearby countries like Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Russia and China. How awesome would it be to actually stay and live the culture of such amazing places! We'll see.

Over the years I've started many projects and blogs and have often fallen out with them, so I'm looking forward to a fresh start with this website, Uzbek Brian, and invite you to join me as we venture into the world of Uzbek.

Thanks for stopping by and feel free to comment, email me, and subscribe to the blog to stay in the know with new stuff.

Xayr,
Brian

3 comments:

  1. Hurmatli Mr. Brian Uzbek tiliga qiziqarkansiz, sizga ozgina erdam bermoqchiman. Sizga manimcha eqadi http://uzbekny.tv/ , betda siz Uzbek kino va yangiliklar kursez buladi....EKI BU WEBSIDGA kirib kuring.
    http://www.mtrk.uz/uz/
    Maylin Mr.Brian sizga omad!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Brian -
    A friend sent your website to me and I am cheering! I spent three years in Uzbekistan as a Peace Corps volunteer, 1995-1998, and I love the country, the heritage and the people.
    I applaud your interest. When Uzbekistan was offered to me as a country for my service, I had no idea where it was or much of anything about it.
    I have many friends there now, and would love to connect you if you can visit the place. Let me know...
    John Smart
    607 3rd Ave S
    Park Falls WI 54552-1235
    715-762-1895

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,
      Thanks so much for this comment, it's so great to meet you!
      I would love to hear about your experiences or perhaps cross paths one day whether in Central Asia or anywhere down the line in our travels. Send me a quick email over at uzbekbrian at gmail dot com, would love to strike up a correspondence!
      Brian Greco

      Delete